RE: CA smog question involving NON-OP registration

>From: Theron Ross <ross@sanoh.com.mx>
>
>In Cali, vehicles registered as non-operational DO NOT need a smog check.
>This is the case with the '83 GTI that I have in my driveway.

If you have a car and decide to register it as non-operational you will not
need a smog check until you bring it back into operation and it's due for a
check. HOWEVER, all research I have done into the matter indicates that
whenever a 1973 and later car is sold (except within family members) you
need a smog certificate (smog certificates are valid for 90 days). The
non-operational status does not transfer to the new owner. The new owner
needs to register the car, and to register it, you need a smog check. No
(anywhere near easy) way around it. If you have evidence to the contrary,
please let me know.

Jonas