Re: CA smog question involving NON-OP registration

ok, if I convert it to, say an '87 spec 16v, and I have it refereed, it will then become (in the DMV's eyes) a 1987 scirocco, correct? Then when 2004 rolls around, will I then be exempt, or will I have forefeited my exemption, since it has been "converted" to an 87 scirocco?

chrisg

  David Guido <guido_david@hotmail.com> wrote:

Chris,

Jonas is right...also check the DMV web site on engine conversions. It basically says that if your doing a conversion it has to be just like the car it came off of including all the bells and whistles especially smog related equipment.But it will still be a 1977 Scirocco no matter what it has inside. My approch to this problem in my 16v conversion is to use everything out of the 16v Scirocco including wiring harness , fuse box, (in short everyrthing!) The ref will look at engine code to determine what it should be, and it better be what the code says it should be or the ref won't pass it. Once the ref has passed it as a legal conversion, then you can start modifying things like bottom-end ect...the smog "checks" every two years aren'y going to be checking that closely once it gets pass the referee from my understanding. For example: they won't know a 40mm intake manifold from a 50 mm manifold...

David Guido

1981 "S"

1980 16v