RE: CA smog question involving NON-OP registration

>From what I understand, the exempt rule in California covers '73 and older
cars and anything 30 years old and older. I think that the rule is a little
deceiving since they made the cut-off date '73, but '74 cars will not be
covered until 2004. **Now that my '66 Mustang is covered, I should start
restoring it again--because smogging that thing was always tough!**

So if you wanted to buy a '75 rabbit and drop a turbo 16V motor in it, in
order to be "legal" here in California, you would need to wait until 2005
before you would never need to get a smog check again.

> Also, anytime you buy a car, you need to get a smog check. I
> believe even if
> you want to register it as Non-op. (Very stupid, IMHO, and I could be
> wrong). DMV won't let you register it without it.

In Cali, vehicles registered as non-operational DO NOT need a smog check.
This is the case with the '83 GTI that I have in my driveway. I'm actually
thinking that I'll never register it and I'll put my old 1.7 and the ff
tranny in it and sell it down here at work in Mexico. That way I can hang on
to the JH and 2H.

--Theron