CA smog question involving NON-OP registration

I picked up a '76 scirocco that had been registered as a non-operational vehicle since '92. I know that when you bring a non-op car back into service, you have to smog it first to make the DMV happy, but what happens when you bring it in to service AFTER it becomes exempt from smog checks (after 2001, the car will be more than 25 years old). The reason I'm asking is I have the original 1.6L carb motor, but it's not in the car. I'd rather just drop a newer engine in there and not worry about smog referees and such...make sense?

chrisg

Do You Yahoo!?