Clutch cable question

So I'm still not happy with my clutch pedal feel.  I put a new auto-tensioning clutch in and it felt great, but I couldn't ge the tranny in gear when the car was running.  I didn't seem to be pulling the lever up enough.  Then I went to the manual adjust cable which works (I can engage/disengage the gears) but the pedal feel is crap.  The cable is much shorter and I had to run it under the intake boot instead of over it.  It has to make a bend it the end that I think is causing the pedal feel problem because it is not a straight shot to the lever.  Is there a longer manual adjust cable that I can use?  Should I look at the throwout bearing a lever arm to see if they need replacement?  what's the concensus...

David Z
'88 1.8 16v Scirocco - stock
'90 G60 Corrado - breathed on