Insurance issues with roccos(LONG)

List,

Here is the story.. my friend has an '87 16v rocco that he has been trying
to sell for a while now.. The car is from florida and has not been through a
vermont winter yet.  He has decided to get away from vw's and jump into some
4x4's... (im shure John can appreciate that ;)..)  Anyway, he drove the car
to this guys house so he could look it over.. The guy took it for a test
drive with Justin in the passenger seat, and my sister in the back seat.. He
had  a long driveway, and decided to show off his driving skills to my sis
and Justin.  The guy, who happened to be a 40 year old doctor, said, and i
quote..."there is no speed limit in my driveway" as he spead up to 30mph
down an icy hill.  He came to the bottom of the hill where the driveway
split to go around a CANYON!  Hit the brakes and when flying off the canyon.
  The car landed on the front rollpan and spoiler, and the rear rollpan and
spoiler.. the wheels never touched the ground.  Therefore it tweaked the
whole car, the hood wont open, the doors are a little tight etc.. basicly
the nose of the car is pushed up and to the right a little.
Now here is the really shitty part!  The test drivers insurance company has
totaled the car.  He was asking $3200 for it because of the nice condition
it WAS in.  The guy testdriving it wouldnt have been testdriving it unless
he was prepared to pay at least close to what he was asking for the car.
This guys insurance company is trying to cut Justin a check for $1900 for
the car, and is also subtractin the other guys deductable of $1000 from the
check too.  So Justin was asking $3200 for the car.. some shithead
testwrecks it, and now he gets $900 for the car that was otherwise mint?????
  WTF is up with that shit?
Anybody know how to approach this?  No matter what, he will be buying the
car back from the insurance company, and will either part it out, or sell it
as a whole, but he still would like to get what he was asking for the car.
Should he sue the testwrecker?  Or if he needs to battle with the insurance
company, how should he go about it?  Thanks for all the help guies and gals.
  If you wanna see pics of the car go to my web page at:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~xscirocco16vx/index.htm  or you can go dirrectly
to the part of the page that has the pics of the car at:
http://www.geocities.com/xscirocco16vx/Index.html.  Thanks again

Jason Arms (Essex, VT)

'87 Scirocco 16v
'88 Jetta GLI 16v (New winter car)