Re: Borla muffler quality?

Shawn Rader wrote:

> Has anyone on the list had any experience with Borla mufflers?  For my next
> upgrade I'm planning on getting a Techtonics exhaust system.  I've heard
> their cheaper straight-through exhausts (Magna and Ultraflo SS) are too
> loud, so I'm currious as to how the Borla sounds.

I have a TT/Ultraflow combo on my 'roc, and I love it.  It's not quiet by
any means, but it's not a "harsh" loudness - I can drive long distances at
high revs with the windows down, no difficulties.  One thing that may
be helping in my case is the tip I chose - it's a dual-outlet resonated
tip that TT sells, looks very similar to the stock 16V exhaust.

I had a New Dimensions/Borla on a '97 GTI VR6 a couple of years ago, and
hated it.  It wasn't real loud, but it resonated at just the right
frequency to give me a gnarly headache anytime I drove it for more
than about 20 minutes.

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 16V 2.0