Re: I just an 87' 16V

The
> hood seems to be sitting askew and is rubbing
> against the front left fender near the windshield.
> is there an adjustment for that?

Yes, loosen the bolts at the hinges and jockey it
around some.

> Now I get in the car and start driving, well i
> thought the thing was loud while sitting in the
> driveway, but when I took off...HOLY MOLY!!

Dunno...could be a sport exhaust?  Or the exhaust is
touching the body somewhere, and amplifying the noise?
 Get under when you can, check all your hangers are
proper and in good shape, as well as for leaks, holes,
etc.

>the tranny will throw itself out of 5th
> and back to neutral.

OOoohhh...first, drain and replace the gear oil, and
replace your shifter bushings and arms, all around,
which forces a re-align of the shifter.  Hopefully
will help, and the whole fix is about $30.

>my clutch seems to have alot of room for down
> travel until it actuqlly starts to work, does that
> make a difference?

Nope, not with what you describe.

> Also, the steering is sooo easy to turn, almost too
> easy. What could cause that?

Possibly nothing is wrong?  It's power steering...

> and lastly, on the way to work today, this wierd
> grinding noise started behind the instrument cluster
> in my dash. it was freezing outside,

Prob. just a cranky cluster.  Or the speedo cable
collar is broken just behind the cluster.  Was the
needle jumping?

> Sorry to throw such a long message up, but I am
> already in love and concerned about my new baby.

OK...deep breath...not to worry.  We are here to help.
 VW's can limp a looonng way.

=====
Ron
'87 16V (Victor, the Famous Cheap Scirocco)
'93 Cab (soon for sale)
many, many, miles and busted knuckles on about seven or so past watercooleds...