Smoking and ticking 1.6...

Hello

My engine has covered 160.000 km and that ain't much for a 24 year old car! Problem is, it is smoking white/grey smoke on cold startups. The engine also ticks a lot. I know they are supposed to tick a bit on startup but the ticking dosen't dissapear! It sounds like its the valves but I'm not sure of the course!?!
Anyone got any similar problems and maybe a solution. I'm guessing its the valves that needs adjustment and maybe some sealings which need replacing!?! - but I'm not the expert...you are ;-)

Thanks alot!!

Morten T Nielsen
76' Scirocco TS 1.6 (2' exhaust, 15' OZ Polaris)
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/mortentn (It's all under construction...ofcourse ;-)