From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Captnbr@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2000 7:31 AM
To: tinfool@home.com; scirocco-L@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: O2 sensor

In a message dated 12/16/2000 1:10:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tinfool@home.com writes:

<< but I thought that a lean mixture causes more heat
 because the oxygen burns hotter and more readily than the
fuel......unburned
 fuel will just clog up the converter because of the carbon it causes. >>

Yes, a lean mixture does cause more heat in the combustion area.
But......the
cat causes a chemical reaction with the unburned fuel which creates heat.
The more unburned fuel, the more heat you create which will cause the cat to
melt down and then clog.  If I am wrong I am sure I will be corrected
because
might have just pulled this out of my ass.

Brian 86 16v
http://members.nbci.com/captnbr/captnbr

http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html