RE: [comment] VWoA...WTF?

<snippage>

>All of the big 3 have stated publicly that if it weren't for the CAFE
>standards, they would all abandon the small car market.  What does that
>tell you about the small car market in the States?  It's just not there.

It doesnt mean it isnt there it just means that the big 3 would seek to
manipulate the (average,lame, boring, uneventful) public into buying a
larger car.

We, OTOH would prefer a smaller car. If the big 3 had their way and didnt
make smaller cars all of us who are performance and fuel mileage oriented
would be buying non-big 3 cars. Granted thats not a whole lot of people but
it might be enough to get us the Lupo ;)

>Jason
>

>At 08:46 AM 12/15/00 , Aaron Ness wrote:
>>One thing to consider is that small cars don't have profit margins.  Did
>>you
>>know that GM takes a loss on nearly every Cavalier it sells?  Carmakers
>>sell
>>small cars to establish brand loyalty, assuming you will think your POS
>>Cavalier was so friggin' awesome that you will run out and buy a Monte in
>>two years, and a Tahoe after that, and then an Escalade.  This is just an
>>example, but note the logic - each successive car I mentioned has a higher
>>profit margin for GM.  The luxury models have the profit margin that
>>allows
>>the carmaker to be profitable - and still sell entry-level cars at a loss
>>in
>>order to bring people into the brand.
>>
>>Others have mentioned crash safety standards.  This is another factor, as
>>well as emissions and little things like lighting requirements.  If VW is
>>satisfied that they are growing as fast as they need to grow in the US
>>market without drawing people in via "entry level" cars below the Jetta in
>>their lineup, it would be stupid for them, from the business side, to even
>>consider the additional development on the smaller platform that would be
>>required to make the cars legal to sell and drive in this country.
>>
>>Another way to look at it is that VW is meeting its goals with the current
>>lineup, so if they were to bring in an "entry-level" such as the polo for
>>the enthusiasts, they would either have to be less profitable, or they
>>would
>>have to pass their costs along to the consumer (a.k.a. you), and the car
>>would be so expensive (relative to "comparable" cars) only the most
>>die-hard
>>VW nuts would even consider it.  That's not a big enough market share to
>>make it feasible, and the fewer interested people they can find, the more
>>each person will have to pay.  In general, people just won't pay a premium
>>for the privilege of driving a small car.
>>
>>I think the root of the problem is that Americans are spoiled by excess,
>>so
>>they would prefer to drive a big car.  That's why models continue to get
>>heavier/larger over their life.  I, like a lot of you, prefer my small
>>cars,
>>but my wife doesn't understand my obsession.  I'm about 6'3",
>>incidentally,
>>so I can understand her confusion.
>>
>>Aaron
>>'82 Scirocco