O2 sensor

Ok, now, please forgive me for beating a dead topic, but i need to get some
solid closure here.

I have learned this:

1-- the O2 sensor increases gas mileage
2-- it also lengthens the life of your cat

My sensor is not hooked up, and I'm pleased with the gas mileage, and I'm
planning to install a tri-y header and remove the cat.

SSSOOOO...  Will drilling and welding the o2 sensor to the header (which is
what some reliable sources have told me to do)  Actually increase
performance as well?  I don't need better gas mileage, and there won't be a
cat, so should I go to all the trouble of modifying the header to accept the
sensor??  I would figure if it was so necessary, the header manufacturers
would put a place to mount it on all headers, not just some...

thanks all..

Andy

84 scirocco 8v
85 BMW 318i