Re: Broken Timing belt: What should I do now?

Hey Mike sorry to hear the bad news.  Been there, done that, have the bill.
Well, actually it was my brothers car when it happened.  It really is not
that bad, well, its bad but not as bad as you think.  You don't need a new
engine.  Just the cylinder head needs to be rebuilt.  When it happened to my
bro. he bent all 8 exhaust valves, or was it the intake I can't remember.
There is a very slim chance that no damage occurred.  I was driving my moms
old accord last year and the belt lost all its teeth, Honda said there is
about a 4% chance no damage occurred.  Took it to our mech. and he slapped a
new belt on it, no damage at all. I would slap on a new belt and go from
there if I were you.  If you just lost a couple teeth the timing might be off
that the engine won't run but you might not have done damage.  Did you hear
and pinging noise, sorta like a noise of a valve hitting a piston just before
the engine stopped?  If you did not hear anything you may be safe. so I would
put on a new belt because that would suck ass if you take the head off and
find out there was no damage done. Oh and make sure the cam gear's little
nipple that goes on the cam is not broken.  If this nipple is broken damage
has most likely happened, if it is not broken there is a chance. Man, I am
talkative tonight. Oh well, good luck.

Brian 86 16v
http://members.nbci.com/captnbr/captnbr

http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html