Re: Any reason I shouldn't buy a 16v

Hello

> see my (largely ignored) thread on what happens when the timing is thrown
> off enough to bend valves in a 16v. my timing belt had <50k miles on it,

the usual 8v JH-engine is proof of bending valves
BUT on Euro 8v Scirocco-engines ( like DX or EX)
you can also bend your valves.
so this is no reason *here* not to buy a 16V !

and as an attentive Scirocco driver you take care of the condition of
your timing-belt anyway...

> > The car will be used for a daily driver.  I don't have
> > any plans to race it.

The 16v is not only good for racing.
I don't race my 16v convertible at all, the 16v is also nice
when just cruising with it.

I have both 8v and 16v Sciroccos in my garage and
so I can objectively say , that the 16v is the better
and more sophisticated engine in a Scirocco.
Especially when compared to the weak 95HP JH engine.
The 112 HP 8v DX engine is better, but usually not available in the USA.

I hope not to have offended anyone with this statement
as always it is only IMHO...

friendly Greetings !
Dirk