A new project!! (input requested)

So, while wandering through the local salvage yard Saturday, me pal and
I came upon an '85 Jetta Turbo Deisel.  All kinds of things popped
through our heads, options are:
Pull the engine (less alternator and starter) for $200, another $100 for
the tranny (5 speed, not sure of the numbers).
Pull the exhaust manifold and turbo, install said manifold and turbo on
the '81 recently bought by us, find an intercooler, et al, and have a
project.
Pull the motor, install said motor and tranny in the '84 with problems,
and have a Turbo Deisel Scirocco.

A question....I assume that the blocks are the same (gas v. deisel), so
tranny parts and stuff would bolt right up?

Another....If I was to turbofy the '81 1.7, would I need to worry about
higher compression pistons, hotter valves, anything like that?  it has
154k on the clock, runs perfect and compression is very good.

Lemme know.
Nate
'84
'81

Oh, another option....we found a '82 Rocco, asking $300 'just needs an
alternator', haven't looked at it yet.  Lesse....$300 for the car, $300
for the engine/tranny.....he-he!!

I'm getting excited.