Re: Woo hoo! Stainless steel bolts!

> I put stainless bolts on my waterpump... think it's a good idea there.

Yeah, I was especially excited about that as I had a potential nightmare
when trying to remove some very OLD waterpump bolts a year ago.  Finally got
them with lots of penetrating oil and my Mac air monster, but what if a bolt
head had snapped?  EEEEKKK!

>Not so
> sure about the exhaust studs though, as stainless alloys tend to be
slightly
> "brittle" when exposed to heat and vibration.  I think this may be the
reason
> VW doesn't use them on there in the first place. If you have good motor
> mounts, use plenty of anti-seez and torque them correctly, you won't have
> problem with studs. (At least I haven't in 20 years)

You know, that's something I would never have thought about.  Didn't know
that about SS properties.  That really does make me reconsider.  And to be
honest, after I did my dual outlet manifold conversion (with plenty o'
antiseeeeze), I've never had a problem with them.  Was thinking SS would be
cool for anti-rust reasons, but now.....

 > Just my $.02...

Gosh, everyone on this group with just $.02.  We are some broke bastards,
ain't we?  <g>  I know YOU are, Dan!!!

-PK