Re: New to list - ?'s about a MK1 1.8t swap.

In a message dated 12/8/00 7:50:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mpeters6@rochester.rr.com writes:

I posted this on the Vortex as well, but I figured I should cover all the
bases.

One of the sales guys I work with knows that I'm big into VW's, so the
other day he dragged me to his house and told me that as soon as I have a
place to put it, I can *have* :) his '81 rocco S. The body is in fair
shape, it needs a new right fender and a paint job. The interior is in good
shape, just really dirty. The engine is top notch, it started instantly.
The only major problem with the car is the electrical system. It is a mess.
Too many hands in there messing around. The radiator fan runs non-stop, and
I had to start it by shorting the solinoid with a screwdriver.
Long story short, I have a project in front of me. I am planned to strip it
down, fix all the rust, sandblast and paint the body. I will reuse the
trans, the interior, and the glass, but the wiring is shot. The engine is
good, but as long as I have to redo the wiring in the entire car, I suppose
that a 1.8t swap wouldn't be that much more dificult, other than the cost
of the engine itself.
Basically, I'm looking for guidance. Is this swap pratical...well, thats
the wrong word. Is it doable?

Of course you can do it, but it won't be easy. First of all, see if you can
even find one. Compare the price of it to other engines and see if it's worth
it to you.

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - uh.....
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)