Re: [Descriptions] was: [RANT] Trusting Mechanics (diagnosis)

> >Alternators have built in voltage regulators. Generators dont.
> >

>Bzzzzt, wrong answer!

OK well I was thinking of watercooled VW's not Ford's or anything.

>(in USA usage at least) Alternators produce alternating current (hence the
>name) by rotating a magnet inside a fixed coil of wire, then convert this
>to direct current using diodes.  Generators produce direct current by
>rotating coils of wire inside a magnet and using a carbon brush assembly to
>connect to whichever coil is in the correct position to produce maximum
>voltage. Either could have an internal or external regulator, but I have
>never seen a generator with internal regulator. Plenty of older alternators
>had external regulators.

My turn: Bzzzzt Wrong answer!

Alternators do NOT have magnets in them. Alternators generate alternating
current via an electromagnet. The electromagnet is activated by the exciter
(idiot light). This electromagnet is what generates current in the form of
AC. The diodes do in fact change the AC to DC (rectifier circuit). Both
units have carbon brushes. Both units work in almost the same way. the only
difference is that one has magnets (which are always magnetized) inside and
the other one creates a magnet via an electrical field and as a result the
alternator must convert its AC energy to DC.

The only reason I said that Alternators have built in regs and generators
dont was watercooled VW related only. Now if this was a Ford, Hyundai,
Nissan, Honduh, Beetle list then I might have phrased it differently.

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag