RE: [Tech]: O2 sensors

>From: Randy Block <RandyB@E-Risk.com>

>What if you are running the early (1981-US/CA) CIS system and you have the
>Oxygen sensor but removed the Cat.
>
>Question is:
>Can/Should I disconnect the O2 sensor from the system and just run the
>signal wire to my air/fuel mixture gauge?

I'd leave it connected. The FI system was designed for it to be getting
readings from the O2 sensor. I'm not sure what the frequency valve would be
doing (i.e. what duty cycle) but I don't think it would be at 50%.
(opportunity for a neat experiment) So your mixture would be off. If you
wanted to run without an O2 sensor, swap in a fuel distributor from a
_really_ early car (one that didn't have a frequency valve) but that is a
pain and won't give any gains.

I think that the reason european cars without cats also did not have O2
sensors is because they were not very concerned with emissions in those cars
(consequently they now need to pay astronomical taxes on those vehicles)

We all know that a well tuned and properly functioning Scirocco will pass
emisions (barely) without a cat. This is because the O2 sensor is
continuously getting the air/fuel mixture in the stochiometric range, which
by itself produces _fairly_ clean exhaust. But if it is off at all, then
emissions go through the roof.

HTH,
Jonas