RE: [Tech]: O2 sensors

Ok, now you've peaked my interest.
What if you are running the early (1981-US/CA) CIS system and you have the
Oxygen sensor but removed the Cat.

Question is:
Can/Should I disconnect the O2 sensor from the system and just run the
signal wire to my air/fuel mixture gauge?
I would obviously have to reconnect it when I put the Cat back in and have
it smog'd every 2 years.
Will I notice any gains or will this be a detriment to the CIS system?
Thanks,

Randy B  "I hugged a tree last week for pennance"
Mars 81S - techtonics tuning 1847cc 8V
Cosmos 81S - future project - dreaming of 200-220hp.
87 Jetta GLI 16V - daily driver