From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of John C. Worden
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2000 11:57 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Tech: Alternator problem- I need help badly!!!

OK. here is the story, my oddometer has been working intermittantly so I
remove the guage cluster and don't have time to finish it before work.  So
I drive to work after plugging just the speedo onto the cable.  Never paid
attention to the voltmeter, at lunch I see the voltmeter reads 12 volts,
less than it's usual 13/14.  I figure it has something to do with the guage
cluster being out, no need to worry.
 So after work I head home and over the 25 mile drive the volt reading
drops more and more.  By the time I get home it is under 8volts and the car
is almost dead-but I made it.
I check the brushes and they look good.  So this morning I get up and buy a
rebuilt(my bearing were going anyway).  I install it and the battery which
I removed to charge(less than one year old Diehard).  Starts right up.  I
drive to work noticing that volt reading is at 12V again.  I start to
worry.  After work it does the same thing, dropping down more and more, but
it does it in only  a few miles(long cold walk).  So I'm thinking "what are
the chances this rebuilt is screwed up in exactly the same way as the old
one?"  Now I kind of wonder what could it be?  I didn't think the guage
cluster being out of the car had anything to do with it, but I wonder just
a little bit now; that is the one thing that is different than normal.  Any
ideas?

Oh and if you read this Julie, rebuilt alternator for a A/Ced car- $90

John C. Worden
Wayne, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-Overdrive is finished
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V - Needs an oil pump gear