Tech(Cam Bearing Caps...Correct order?)

My buddy just bought a camshaft from me for an 8 valve because he chewed his
up on a vise trying to remove his cam-sprocket.  Anyhow,...he came over
today to pick the cam up and asked if the bearing caps have to go on in
their exact same order.  I said, "Yes" and then asked why.  The head in
question is a solid lifter 8valve.  I was thinking the caps were labeled
1,2,3,etc?  So I told him to count #1 from the cam belt end over and he
should be fine.  Now he just called and said that he doesn't have any idea
which way the #'s should face.  (like....do you read them upside down or
right side up...if you are facing the head in the car)  I guess I never paid
that much attention,...plus I always label and mark everything.  Any help is
appreciated.
Thanks,
chris