Re: [RANT] Trusting Mechanics

Well, just to offer a counter viewpoint....Being that I work at a garage as
a technician, it's very frustrating for a shop when a car is dropped off and
the customer hasn't made appointment, which sounds to be the case with your
car but maybe you did and didn't mention that in the email. The shop does
sound disorganized being that it took them a whole day to install an
alternator, but if they were really busy it's understandable.  It's also in
the shops best interest to double check the customers diagnosis of the
alternator being bad. It helps to prevent an upset customer when the shop
tells 'em that the charging light is stil on but they went ahead and
installed the alternator anyways 'cause the customer wanted them to. In the
instance the customer is wrong (which I have seen numerous times) it can
save the customer money in un-needed parts and labor.  $53 to install the
alternator on anything but an early 8v with the large York style a/c
compressor sounds a bit on the high side to me.

                        Kris Rayner
                 krisrayner@hotmail.com
             http://www.fix.net/~trzracing/web