Shifter Sloppiness was: New owner here... [long]

"rexford booth, iii" wrote:

> Thanks for all the help, people.  I have a follow up question.
>
> If I buy a short shifter kit for the Scirocco,
> will that solve the slopiness in the shifter as it is now?

Maybe. Consider that there are two common reasons there is sloppiness in
the shifter, worn/missing bushings & worn shifter 'ball' found under the
shift lever.

The 1st is fixed with a bushings kit containing rubber and nylon
bushings you use to replace the inter linkage bits. Restore a great feel
to the shift action. Prices are usually under $20US and is a good thing
to do to any newly acquired VW.

It's common for high mileage cars to also have a worn shifter mech., is
is a plastic ball on the bottom of the shift lever and can wear, even
crack over time. This replacement with the bushings included is what the
higher priced kit should be getting you. Not a bad idea to replace the
whole thing but sometimes not ness.

> Also, are these people reliable?  They're having a pretty decent sale:
>
> http://www.newdimensions.com/catalog/specials/
>
> Thanks again,
> Rusty Booth
> 88 Scirocco 16v
> 92 Prelude SI

Yeah, those guys are on the up & up. Most people think highly of Turbo
Tim, some folks have had a not so good experience but that is the law of
averages. For the most part ND is classified as one of the good ones.
Definitely they are the Dealer Alternative for Audi & VWs in the West/
South Bay. If I was still over in the East bay I'd be patronizing
Griffin on a regular basis. (Re Shop Work)

I still do most of my online parts ordering though Potterman though,
<http://www.parts4vws.com>,  personally I like the service, the prices,
and the quality. I've been known to pop over to ND because I need
something right away and they are close by. (torn between two
lovers..... you know the tune), Still my heart belongs to PappaRoc down
in Orange.

All in all, you can replace the current set up with a short shift kit
but it may not include all the replacement parts needed for a
reconditioning of the linkages and such. Check before buying.

TBerk