compression questions

    ok, so we know that you need a lower compression motor to safely turn up
boost.  but is there some kind of formula that you can follow that states
that X pounds of boost is okay with an engine that has a compression of Y:1?

    just for the sake of argument, lets say that i want to crank my boost
pressure up to 30lbs.  (for a day at the track, mind you, not daily driving)
how can i figure out what will work without blowing up my motor?  TDIs have
a CR of 23:1 or something insane like that.  what's their secret?

    also, i have a decked and ported/polished head on my motor.  would i be
able to lower the compression for a current (assumed) 11:1 by using dished
pistons?  someone mentioned that option to me recently.  maybe with dished
pistons and a copper gasket, or an O-ringer block, i might be able to do
such a thing.

       what say you, people?

jason
the mad bastard