Re: Really bright tailights? good bulbs + relays

Chris Cavitt wrote:

> anyone have any idea were to get a couple inexpensive Super bright bulbs for
> (turn signals, brake lights, and parking lights)
> no were around here sells them, and i am getting tired of having people
> almost rearend me because they cant see my lights(blacked out lenses)

   Chris, first off I would relay your brake lights.  When I did this to
my Mk1 it brought it up from 11 or so volts to over 13.  It made a huge
difference.  On top of it, I got bulbs that were 25% brighter than
stock.  Check out this URL for a full list of bulb types that you can
get:

  http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/signal_bulbs/

   The stock bulbs in the rear are 32cp (candlepower) for the brake,
backup, and blink.  The parking bulbs are 3cp stock.  What I did for my
vehicle was I upgraded the brake bulbs to the 2396 bulb (40cp, which is
a 25% increase in brightness).  If you can find the 1295 bulb, they are
rated at 50cp.  When looking at that web page, the first main block
(Ba15d) are the dual filament type bulbs you would find in your front
turn signal.  The next largest chunk, or the Ba15s bulbs, those are
applicable to your rear bulbs.  Just take a look at that page and you
can determine what bulbs you may want to use.

   BTW, while I do have the 20watt Halogen brake lights, they are just
about the same candlepower as the standard filament 40cp bulb.  My
suggestion to you is to stay away from paying the high price for the
halogen bulbs, but instead user larger cp bulbs with relays.  You wont
be dissapointed.

   One last point I will make is that if you want increase brake
lighting, convert your parking segment in the rear to both park and
brake.  I ended up doing this on my Mk1 with the 2357 bulb (40cp/3cp)
and so now when I brake, both the brake and the parkign positions light
up *VERY* brightly (relayed of course).  Just ask Meze, he was following
me around at the ND show a few years back and thought my brakes were
insanely bright.  =p  Let me know if you want the details.  Hope that
helps some...

 Andre'
 Lime Green 79