Re: Mk1 still stalling after changes

--- Theron Ross <ross@sanoh.com.mx> wrote:
> Last night I replaced my fuel filter and my fuel
> pump relay with new parts
> to see if it would help my stalling problem.
>
> Engine started and ran great (I almost think better
> than it has before) for
> about 2 minutes.
>
> I decided to take it to the gas station and fill up
> (to avoid another
> problem). It died as soon as I flipped the headlight
> switch on. Thought that
> was a little strange, so I started it back up with
> no problem...hit the
> headlights again, and it dies again!
>
> After that I would start it and it would run for
> about 10 seconds and then
> die on it's own without the headlights being
> switched on. But it would run
> for less and less time each time I started it before
> dying.
>
> When it dies there is no stumbling at all...it's
> almost like you just pulled
> the plug on it...it just dies like you've turned off
> the ignition.
>
> So should I focus on now? Fuel pump, cold-start
> valve? Or is this even a
> fuel problem? Or should I be focusing on an
> electrical problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Theron
Sorry, I have not been following this thread - it
sounds like your alternator is not putting any Voltage
out, and you've been driving around on the battery.
Under this scenario, when you drive with no
accessories on, the only "drain" is the fuel pump. The
battery is drained so low that when the lights are
switched on, it dies.

Contradicting the above is the fact that you can
re-start the car, which would not be the case if the
battery was drained down.

Sounds like an electrical prob ???????

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM

For Sale: Various VW 13" Steel Wheels - free - you haul.