Re: 1.8L Compression Q's?

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 23:36:45 -0600 "Jody Bailey" <scirocco8v@home.com>
writes:
> So I found a 1.8L  engine out of a GTI near me.  Do not know what
> year, but am assuming early 80's so I guess it is a 10:1 comp ratio.  I
have
> not talked to the guy yet, but ad says 160psi across the board.  Is
this
> good?
> I just need the motor to put in my 82 so I can drive it for the
> winter then I will be putting in my 2L 8v with cross flow head and all
> electronics.
> Hopefully I will be able to get a hold of the guy tom so I can find
> out more about it.  TIA

It's fine, but an early '80's Rabbit GTI is not a high compression
engine...
The 1.8L 8V 10:1 engines in the US started in '85.

A new 10:1 VW engine is rated at 145 to 189 PSI, and the wear limit is
109.

Get the engine code.

HTH,
Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V