Re: cant get my 79 started..

Chris Cavitt wrote:

> also i tested it for spark, no spark either,
> but there is power going to coil when the key gets turned on and there is
> power going to the points,

****You have to check section by section, start at the coil and work your way
down to the plugs, find the weak link, coil to coil wire to distributor cap to
rotor to points to spark plug wires to plugs, swap parts, I know you have extra
parts sittin there, swap a distributor, Maybe you have it 180 out. And don't
keep crankin that starter with a weak battery, you'll ruin your solenoid. I'll
see if I can find some time between projects and work this week, maybe I can
come over and help you out.

> but no spark out of plug wires, so i could only
> think of the coil wire to the distributor, tested it with an ohm meter and
> there is nothing, can you test these wires with an ohm meter?

****Check the continuity. If you get the resistance with the ohm meter check it
against the plug wires, it should be the same or a little less.

> I took out the plugs and it turns over fast like it should without plugs in,
> but put them back in and still real slow?
> what should i look for or do?

****Let it sit and charge for a while, without running, the battery isn't
probably getting charged all the way when you charge it, and every time you
crank the starter with a weak battery, you risk ruining the solenoid, which
inturn, will reduce the cranking ability. Try fully charging the battery and
connect the two wires that go to the solenoid directly to the battery, skip the
key, if it doesn't crank as fast as it should, you probably have to get your
starter rebuilt, I recommend Start Mart next to freddies, 40-50 bucks to
rebuild your starter and it comes with a five year warranty.

Nathan