Re: compression tests....

> I had a compression test done on my 87 16v rocco recently and came back
> 205-195-195-165 (although not necasarily in that order.)
>
> My question is thus - what are the normal results of a compression test for
> a 16v?

****Depends on many things, I'll assume you have a stock cam and 10:1
compression ratio (looks like it) in that case 195-205 is normal. if you have
a higher compression ratio (around 11.5:1) and a high performance cam w/
longer duration, then 195-205 is still good, [ depending on ratio (
piston/head ) and cam combination ].

> Should I be concerned by my results?  (205 <--> 165 seems like a lot
> of difference...)

****That is a bit of a difference, but not THAT bad, Ive seen alot worse. it
could be soo many things, just think of all the ways air can escape from the
chamber: sticky lifter, out of adjustment lifter, piston rings, head gasket,
leaky valve, cracked valve, valve stuck open from carbon build up, and yes
theres more. But dont worry, if it was something major, I think it would be
alot worse than 165, if it has alot of miles on it run some top-end cleaner
trough it and see what that does, you might be surprised. All together, if it
was my car I wouldnt lose any sleep over it, but I would make an effort to see
what it is and see what I could do about it.

HTH,
Nathan