RE: oil warning light/buzzer

It could be a number of things, but I've had two problems with the oil
light/buzzer.

If your oil pump is dying, it won't maintain pressure and the buzzer/light
will come on.

If there is something wrong with the wiring for the sensor, the buzzer/light
will come on. The 16v has two pressure sensors right on top of the oil
filter's mounting flange. Try cleaning the contacts or testing the wires for
a short. If that doesn't work, replace the sensors (not very expensive,
IIRC). If that doesn't work, I've heard of people having shorts in the
circuits behind the gauge cluster, but it might be easier to verify that the
oil pump is good than verify that the gauge cluster is good.

BTW, why are you having your oil changed at a Tires Plus? If you're not
mechanically inclined, that's OK. Oil changes are easy/cheap/fast and the
best place to start learning more about cars. You'll also want to take your
oil light problem to a good shop (though you said you were gonna change your
timing belt...). If you are mechanically inclined, what's your excuse for
not chaning your own oil?? ;-)

At any rate, you've got some trouble-shooting to do. If the pump is bad,
you've got real problems and shouldn't drive the car! Oil pressure is what
keeps the valves adjusted, and if there isn't oil pressure, you could run
into some really nasty valve damage before you destroy the rest of your
engine because of normal "no oil" reasons...

Neal
'88 16v