Re: MK1 U.S. Scirocco Trivia

Boys,
As an owner of a Cosmos Silver  81S which I bought in 1981,
the only "S" colors available that model year were Cosmos Silver, Cirrus Gray
and Mars Red. There were no other colors for an S. Don't care what the
brochure says.
Ask another quasi expert re. the 80S colors.
My 2 bits.
Rob / Cincinnati

In a message dated 8/25/00 10:52:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
type53@yahoo.com writes:

<<  > *Slight* correction, '81 S models were only in
 > > Cirrus Grey,
 > > Cosmos Silver, or Mars Red.  '80 S models were
 > > Alpine
 > > White, Mars Red, or Black.
 > >
 > > :)
 >
 > Wrong. The '81 brochure says that in the text, but
 > in
 > the photograph above the text are none other than  a
 > Black Scirocco S and an Alpine White Scirocco S.

 Maybe wrong? I know the '81 brochure depicts White and
 Black Scirocco S models, but here's a question: did VW
 make and sell them? The brochures are not entirely
 reliable. I am fairly certain that there were Cirrus
 Gray 1980 S models (perhaps late model year?). I have
 owned two Cirrus Gray S models (1981) and an Alpine
 White S (1980). Does anyone on this list own a 1981
 Scirocco S that was originally Alpine White or Black?

 The trim package that became the Scirocco S was
 offered in 1979 as the "limited edition 5speed" (1979
 was VW's 1st year for a 5 speed tranny). A similar
 package was offered on 1978's "Sidewinder" (Dick
 Wong?)

 The 1979 and 1978 special models are not listed in the
 Brochures that I have (neither is the 1976.5 F.I.
 "Super Scirocco").

 Has anybody ever seen a special brochure for these
 models?

 =====
 Mark Peele
 1981 Scirocco S, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
 http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
 Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
 Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
 or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)