dead odo - need rpm ---> mph conversion

Hey folks-

Been gone a while and am happy to be back in your loving arms.

Now to the scirocco content:

My odometer died a while back and instead of fixing it, i've just been
guessing.  Well, the local police pulled me over for speeding so i figure at
least make some attempt to get a better idea of my speed.

I have a stock engine/tranny 1987 16v Scirocco with 195-50-15 tires, can
someone either pass me the conversion formula along with the necesary gear
info or do the math for me at these gears and rpms:

1st - 3000
2nd - 3500
3rd - 3000, 4000
4th - 3000, 4000
5th - 3000, 4000

just for fun - here are my guesses at the actual speeds
1st - 3000 ------------ 15 mph
2nd - 3500 -------------25mph
3rd - 3000, 4000 -------30mph, 40mph
4th - 3000, 4000 -------45mph, 55mph