1.8 and 2.0 dipsticks, why are they different?

I have a curious question. My 2.0 seems to be consuming a fair amount of oil
(some of this is due to the blown head gasket/cam shaft pully seal). My damn
near dead 1.8 didnt use a drop, so I changed the 2.0 oil and put the 4.5
quarts in. On the dipstick it barely comes halfway up on the cross hatches.
But according to the bentley it is full with the amount of oil I put in and
having changed the filter. Im hesitant to over fill it since I did this at
SIR when dragging and had to live with my oil pressure light on for a week
or so till the level dropped and my some of the excess oil vanished. Im
using the dipstick from my 1.8 since the 2.0 did not come with one. I have
taken it out and compared it to a 2.0 dipstick and they differ in where the
level markings are. The 1.8 markings are start higher than the 2.0...why is
this, I put the 2.0 stick in my oil showed low but ok, the 1.8 almost
remains dry. I dont think the tube was bent on the blck or anything. What
should I do, go buy a 2.0 stick and go by its readings?

Thank you for your time.
Shannon Fenton
Telecom Resource Management
Amazon.com