Re: Questions: To Cam or Not to Cam

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:16:47 -0400 "Jason" <jason87vw@nac.net> writes:
> Hey All,
>
> I just put a chunk of change down for the 2.0 conversion :-) I am
> not sure if I should put an intake cam into my 2.0 or a set or nothing.
> It will be a daily driver. Its a 2.0 16v out of a 92 Passat. I am
> getting: Supersprint Header
> Autotech exhaust from the header back
> Sachs Clutch
> Misc. seal and gaskets and such.
> I will be using the stock 16v tranny and 2.0 head. Should this be
> enough to give me a good 1/4 mile run ? I spoke with Potterman again
today,
> what a crackup he is...I have all kinds of choices as far as cam(s) go.

> Should I just get 276 Shricks and be done with it (Inspection...DOH!)
???
> what is the best cam or cams I can get that will give me the most bang
for the
> buck...I need opinions on the following:
> Neuspeed Intake (Euro Spec)
> Autotech Set (almost impossible to find)
> Kents (a variety including  regrinds)
> Schricks (uh, they're Shricks, 'nuf said)
> PS - I would really like to dust my buddy's 97 Stock Eclipse
> (non-turbo) he
> thinks he's the sh&t....
> Suggestion Appreciated (as always),
>
> Jason87vw@nac.net
> 87 16v Scirocco (in limbo)

You should be able to beat a non-turbo Eclipse with a stock 16V Scirocco.
<g>

How fast are they?

For a daily driver and passing emission testing, I would go with a "euro"
intake cam.
What state are you in?

A converted 2H or 4K, would be better for the quarter mile, but the 2Y is
great for a daily driver, especially if you do the .75 5th gear
conversion.

If you didn't already get the Autotech exhaust, I can save you 10% on the
Autotech exhaust and cam, or a Techtonics exhaust.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V