Re: completely bizarre white smoke incident

To everyone: Please pay attention to posts that are made to this list. This
almost exact same symptom was posted by another lister last week. If you
were not on the list last week then I apologize (I understand that a lot of
newcomers are here and welcome).

In answer to your question: You most likely have oil in your air filter.
Replace it with a K&N and dont over fill your oil.

>Hello all,
>
>Last evening I was driving my 84 Scirocco, following a buddy of mine in his
>Porsche 968.  He goes very fast into an on-camber 270 degree entry ramp
>onto
>a highway.  I keep up (my sticky tires and upgraded suspension doing their
>job) and with about 60 degrees more of the turn to go, my car starts
>blowing
>smoke BIG TIME out the tailpipe as I'm winding the motor out through 4th
>gear.  This was not a whisk of smoke, this was a military-grade smoke
>screen.
>
>By the time my brain registers everything, I'm out of the turn, off the
>throttle, and into fifth.  The smoke completely goes away.  Water and oil
>temps doing just fine.  We pull over and everything looks ok under the
>hood.
>I wind the car out in 2nd a few times and everything seems fine.  There is
>no water visible on the dipstick and the water level in the radiator
>overflow tank seems about where it should be after everything cooled down.
>The car's motor is mostly stock and has got about 140K on it.
>
>So, any ideas as to what in the world happened?  The car was experiencing
>an
>unusually long and unusually high-g turn when all of this took place.
>
>Many thanks!
>Benjamin Wood
>Coppell, TX
>84 Scirocco