Hello and my tranny?

Hey everyone,
First off I want to say it was great putting names witha bunch of faces at
Waterfest. It warms the cockles of my heart to see all those Sciroccos lined
up all pretty. I have ben pretty busy so I havn't visited the list in a
while. Which brings me to my question...

Do you have to dissassemble the tranny to replace the Output Shaft (the
flanges that the driveshaft bolts up too) bearings? I was going to do the
seal today but it looks like there is way to much play in the bearing. I
want to replace it but it looks like I have to seperate the caes to do it.
Is this true? Any insights from you gurus?

Please email direct to bcuda@infohouse.com since the car is in pieces in the
drive.

Thanks

Barry