Re: '79 Mk1 16V conversion complete, but STILL no start

OK.  I had some time to mess around with the car today.  Remember, it has
been fully rewired, but using factory GTI 16V (1.8L) stuff.  Nothing in the
engine bay was cut or spliced all the way up into the fuse box.  So Peter,
the load wire to the coil is factory, (as far as I know).

I tested as per the Bentley for resistance on the coil and the wires; they
all check out fine.  I did the flashing light test for switching of primary
voltage at the coil.  It is also fine.  We ARE getting spark at the plug.

Now for the fuel system.  I don't know what the hell I'm doing with this,
I'll admit that right off the bat.

A.  While I do have fuel up to the cold start valve, when I performed the
test as per the Bentley, no fuel came out of the valve.  I also did the test
for the themo-time switch, and got no glow from the test light.  Can a
thermo-time switch go bad from sitting?  the motor ran perfectly with the
very same wiring that's connected to it now right up until the accident last
October.  Where is the thermo-time switch exactly?
B.  The fuel pump is running.  It starts when you turn the key to the on
position
C.  I have not yet checked the airflow sensor plate.
D.  I have not yet checked fuel pressure, but I do know that there is plenty
of pressure up to the cold-start valve, as evidenced by my previous gas
shower.
E.  The current at my coolant temp sensor harness is a little high;  it's at
115mA, where the max should be 100 mA.  Any ideas what this means?
F.  Are ignition system grounds different than other grounds?  We've got
some massive grounding wires from the engine and tranny mount to the body of
the car.  The battery has been relocated to the spare tire well.  At the
front of the car I have a relay plate and a positive terminal.

I've never dealt with this type of problem before, so I'm inclined to call
in the professional and have it towed to my mechanic's shop.  Please help if
you can so I can save a tow.  Thanks a lot.

Ben R
Membership Coordinator
<http://www.volksport.com>
Volksport GTI and Watercool Volkswagen Club
"We support your VW Performance Addiction."