front).

From: archive@porknet.fdns.net

I'm not unhappy with the new setup, but I'm slightly disappointed. The
springs didn't lower the car as much as expected (too bad the front
doesn't have an adjustable height circlip like the rear) probably because
I replaced my severely sagging strut bearings :), and the ride isn't
_drastically_  improved, although definately better. I expected a little
better turn-in, but its about the same. I DO like the feel of the car at
high speeds much better, its like a go-kart! I'm probably just tired from
all the work and tomorrow I'll have a different opinion - I only drove it
around for a couple of miles tonight.

I was a little surprised the old shocks were Boges.. but i guess they're
VW original since they have a part number on them. They're green. Are
these the TurboGas or the ProGas or some ancient NoGas design? The rear
shocks were more "blown" than the fronts, to my surprise. They made some
really nasty scraping sounds, and had a few "loose" spots. The fronts
actually did "center" themselves, rather than just put up resistance,
which was surprising. I didn't expect that much from a 13 year old shock!

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition