Homemade Short Shift

I recently picked up a selector lever from a 5 speed A1 at the junkyard.
The thing is shaped like an upside down "L" with some bends and a hole in
the bottom part. This is how I remembered mine being, however, when I
went and looked at it yesterday just out of curiousity, I found mine is a
little different. It has a little bid of a crook to the left on the part
with the bends in it, and it just looks weird! Whats the deal with this? I
thought Sciroccos had the same linkage as other A1s. Should I be able to
use the selector lever I got at the junkyard anyway to make a short
shifter and will I need to adjust the linkage somehow?

That aside, what is the best way to make a homemade short shift kit.
Someone said to pound it flat and drill a 14mm hole, other places I've
read you can just bend the 45 degree angles until they're 90 degree
angles. I dont see why you'd need to weld on more metal for any way of
doing it.. shouldn't you be shortening the bottom part of the L in order
to shorten the throw? Or do you lengthen it...? Someone with a short shift
kit please clear this up for me.

Thanks,

-Toby

--