5th Gear swap Was Re: transaxle types

Actually you have to drop the nose cone (6 @10mm cap screws), not the green
cap, but it is very easy from there. I tore the gasket and had to replace it
although RTV would have worked just fine as it is low pressure/low temp.

Remove the driver's side mount bolt, loosen the front and rear mount and
lower the jack you are supporting the tranny with to gain access to the end
piece.

The old gear slides off behind a circlip, the new one slips on and away you
go. I went the other way in a 4+E in a Jetta, but the process is the same...

You don't even have to drain the tranny, although you will need to top it
off after you are done as you will lose a few ounces of MTL.

If it's been a while, put a new throw-out bearing in it too, they cost $5
and you are right there.

Do be careful with the push rod though, if you pull it out (Ooh - what's
this? Don't ask...) you will have a struggle to get it threaded back through
the shifter forks and seated correctly again.

HTH,

Christian
87 16V
stuff...