Re: trans axle info

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:59:57 -0400 "Julie Macfarlane"
<juliemac@telenet.net> writes:
> I looked at the tranny's on the cars and cannot find where the
> markings are.  I want to rip out the transaxle from the Jetta possibly
and put it
> into the GTi. What is the ratio difference between the two? Better top
end
> speed?
>
> Julie Macfarlane
> '81 Scirocco (Mom)
> '83 Rabid Jackalope GTi (Baby)
> '85 Wolfsburg Jetta (for sale)

The Jetta has a final gear ratio of 3.67:1, (ACN or 9A) and the '83 GTI
probably has a 3.94:1 (2H).
If it is a regular Jetta, i.e. not a GLi, then it is an overdrive
transaxle.

To find the code, look on the flat tab on the bottom of the bellhousing.
(the round part of the trans, right next to the oil pan).
Laying on your back under the car, it is in the middle of the drivetrain.

Instead of swapping transaxles, you might want to consider just swapping
the 5th gear.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V