Re: 2H trans installed...

haha you just left it like that? :) thats a big "whoops!"

hmmm, i might be interested, but the thing is that this 9A grinds 3rd gear, BAD. it leaks from the 5th gear cover, from the flanges AND from the input shaft..
I now have a wet clutch system like a motorcycle. :) hehe

But anyways, to me that means I will buy a completely rebuilt, gone through tranny with the bolt kit from someplace like BSI or EM Sport. Gonna run around 800 bucks.. OUCH. I'm thinking of just going the whole way and picking up a 6 speed!

OR if anyone has a close ratio that doesn't grind any gears for sale (a 4K preferably) I'd consider buying that too.
So i might not need the flanges. but then again, i might. :)

With regards to the Velocity kit, all the problems I hear about it are from the suspension compressing and the inner CV going IN and shredding the allen bolt that hold in the cap/seal thing on the inside of the flange.

The cap that velocity supplied with the diff kit is countersunk, with a tapered Allen head bolt that holds it in.  When the bolt is installed all the way, the head sticks up about 4-5 mm. I have no idea why, but this is probably why the inner CV hits it and shreds it to bits.
So I countersunk the cap a lot more, until the bolt is completely flush with the cap. There is no way the CV will go in that much, and the bolt threads don't bottom out or anything, so thats all good.
Then I added some blue gasket maker to the underside of the bolt just to make sure that gear oil doesn't leak out of there either. (the instructions dont say to put anything there..)   So i think that'll work a lot better then the way it comes from the shop.

see ya!

:)

Kevin Fry
81 scirocco
--- thescirocco@juno.com
>Yeah, I did this years ago on a perfectly good 4K, I still have it too...
>
>> If your replacing the flage seals, make sure you check the flanges
>> for wear where the seal rides on it. My flanges had small grooves I
>> could feel, but i thought I could get away with it. Both flanges
>> leak a bit of gear oil now.. it sucks. I dont know how much new
>> flanges are, but look into it if theres a question.
>I have a couple of 90 mm flanges in good shape, let me know if you're
>interested.
>
>> I have some modifications to the Velocity Limited slip kit i did to
>> make it more reliable. if your installing that too, hit me back if
>> anyone wants the details
>I'm not doing the Velocity upgrade, but I'm still curious what you did to
>make them more reliable.
>
>Peter
>'79 Scirocco 16V project car
>'83 GTI
>'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V

==
aventari