Re: 2H trans installed...

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:01:15 -0700 (PDT) kevin f <aventari@detonate.net>
writes:
> My .71 5th w/ the 3.67 is tall thats for sure. But the thing is, it's
> not too much different then my FF was. a few mph, but not much. The
> real killer is that 4th is soo much shorter and the 4th to 5th shift
> is pretty wicked. I'm lucky my motor has a fair amount of touque so
> it can hang, but i wish i would've have a .75 to go with. I would
> use that if I were you. IMHO
Thanks for the feedback, it's always nice to hear from someone who has
already "been there and done that", I think I will go with the .75.

> So you split the case for fun then? just to check it out? I'm
> thinking of doing that to my FF
Yeah man, just for fun and I figured I'd learn something too.

> I took the one out of my FF and something fell apart inside, and the
> shaft wouldn't go back in hehehe. it has those springs on each end.
Yeah, I did this years ago on a perfectly good 4K, I still have it too...

> If your replacing the flage seals, make sure you check the flanges
> for wear where the seal rides on it. My flanges had small grooves I
> could feel, but i thought I could get away with it. Both flanges
> leak a bit of gear oil now.. it sucks. I dont know how much new
> flanges are, but look into it if theres a question.
I have a couple of 90 mm flanges in good shape, let me know if you're
interested.

> I have some modifications to the Velocity Limited slip kit i did to
> make it more reliable. if your installing that too, hit me back if
> anyone wants the details
I'm not doing the Velocity upgrade, but I'm still curious what you did to
make them more reliable.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V