Re: 1/4 mile results

> I don't need excuses so don't make any. Facts work just fine in my world.

true enough.  however, i still like to make sure that i'm understood
by all when i make a point.

> Dude, .731?? Wake da fuk up! In the world of drag racing, That's
> sleeping.

meze, if you could've seen me, you would've walked away ashaking your
head.  i'm not even joking.  when it comes to running at a track, i get all
fucked up.  one time i did a little burnout to warm the rubbers up, and i
blasted right by the starting line.  so, i backed up and got the staging
lights lit, only to be told by the dude that runs the tree that i had to
back up some more to line up the fronts!  ugh.

my big time botch run was when i staged, and had the car just inside
the box, and then rolled backwards out of the box.  omigod.  i was chewing
the steering wheel and saying some really nasty things.  i mean, i lined up
for about 40 minutes only to do that?n  shit.  i was pissed.  not to mention
that everyone in the stands thinks i'm a dink.

i'm so intent on watching the lights that i can't notice the car
backing up.  sad.

anyways, i'm working on it. :)

> Kidding aside, this is something you should consider working
> on. It makes a difference. .7 to a .5 is quite a bit. At least half a car
> length off the line. Most of the big boys win or loose a race on the RT.
> For what your doing, you probably don't care and it does take alot of
> time ON the line to get the feel for cutting a good light.

no doubt.  i don't know what my best R/T was for the day, but i can
assure you that .731 was probably up around one of the best :)  i'm really
getting used to the car to tell you the truth.  next time...

> I did it for 2
> years in the Funnycar and it was always the hardest part of the race.
> Its been a ton of years since ive been on the strip. A few months ago I
> made a return to the strip to get some data on my new FSP motor. My first
> run was a .8 RT! Talk about being out of the loop. I was leaving on the
> last yellow and apparently not early enough. I was terrified of getting a
> red light which might be part of my problem on that day. Cars differ,
> drivers differ. it just takes some time to figure out what it takes to
> cut a perfect light.

ture enuff.  you know i'll keep ya posted on my progress :)

> Sounds like your on the right track. (Hmmm. No pun intended.) I don't
> know what MT says to use in regards to tire pressures and as ive said
> before, its been a while since ive been around the drag racing scene.
> Im thinking you are using too much front tire pressures? Again, MT's
> might need more air than the previous drag tires.

the basics are that if the car weighs under 3000lbs, don't go under
6lbs.  all sorts of people were tellingme to drop it to 12, and i might've
made it to that point if i had some more practice runs...i had a total of
about 11 runs for the day (2 useless ones as you know), so my tire pressure
went slowly down from 25 to 22 to 20 to 18lbs.  i also heard from someone
that going below 15lbs with a stock  diff is asking for trouble.  anyone
care to comment on this?

> Just some of my own discoveries, I used a pair of circle track GoodYear
> Eagle racing slicks on 13X6 wheels. (I use them for road racing..... or
> something.) Hard compound stuff. Anyways, I used 15psi on my first couple
> runs. On my last run I tried 8psi and that really hooked me up off the
> line.

i think that i gotta spend a bit more time in the burnout area.  i
really didn't heat them up a helluva lot.  next time...

> You might consider trying this on your next test and tune day. Or
> not, your call. Also keep in mind that its a strange feeling in the
> shutoff area. Torque steer is king and steering input suffers.

fo sho.  if i ever have time to do it, then you know i'm going to
empty a tank of gas and just run the snot out of my sled.  my next bunch of
weekends are already claimed, so hopefully in september i'll be able to hit
it.  it should be nice and cool then :)  give me a reason to BBQ the slicks.
hehe yeah

> I knew guys who used 5psi but these were 15X10 slicks. (Back in the day
> crap.) Keep in mind that as the tire heats up in the burnout (I assume
> you heat the tires up before the run??) they build pressure. 5psi builds
> to about 8-10psi overall. Food for thought is all.

i was constantly checking the pressure as the day wore on.  never
right after a run, but always in the lines i'd check up every-so-often to
make sure all was well.  temps showed an extra 2psi usually, which i'd
quickly empty out.  nothing too crazy tho.

i think that if i ever get another set of clicks, i'll bite the
bullet and go with a set of 13x8s, or something to that effect.  the ones i
have now, i bought cuz i knew i could fit them onto a set of dub rims with
no modifications.

brunberg out

jason
the mad bastard