Re: Close-ratio tranny question

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:35:35 EDT DNK006@aol.com writes:
> Off topic a little, I just want to clear things up a little....
How is this OT?

> So the 85 and up roccos have 100mm flanges (or 4 inches as Car Quest
> would say).
Yes...

> What size is the shaft on the CV joint.  Just from looking, my 84
> and 86 seem to have the save size chaft on the outer CV.
How can you tell without measuring it?
'84 Sciroccos came with 90 mm axles, and the '86 came with 100 mm axles.

> My mom's 86 Cabriolet has a larger diameter outer CV spline shaft.
The CV spline shaft is the same size, the CV's are bigger...
They both use the same hub, and the splines that the outer CV fit into
are on the hub, it's the hub carrier that's different.

> What size is this?
100 mm...

>  I know my 30mm socket still fit it's axle nut.   When I
> orderd her 1/2 shaft (from car quest), they shipped one with 100mm
flanges and
> a smaller dia. shaft.  I actually had to go to their warehouse and look
at all
> their VW shafts to find the correct size!  It turned out, the shaft
that
> worked was for an '91 or newer Jetta.. WTF

WTF is right, they don't know what they're doing...

It must have been the driver's side axle that you were working on, since
the A2 GTI/GLi and late model A2's driver's side axles are the same as
the '85 and up A1's driver's side axle.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V