scirocco mk1 engine transplant

I just bought a Scirocco mk1 as a project car. It needs a new engine and I am trying to determine the best replacement for it. I am thinking about staying with the 8 valve so that I can just bolt the new engine right in. I saw a place on the web that sells an 8 valve 1.8 liter that has been bored out to 2 liters. If I wanted to have this done myself, which block would work best, or are the 1.8s in the Scirocco, Jetta, GTI all the same? Would one year or model stand up best to this kind of bore? Where would I then get pistons and rings? I need some advise.
Thanks,
Todd