unknown driveline problem

Hey gang, I have a problem that nobody seems to be able to
figure out.

The car in question is an '87 8v Scirocco w/ an ACN
transmission.  The problem is for lack of a better term - a
kind-of "clunk" or "vibration" that varies with the speed
of the car - kinda like a bad CV joint.  (Both axles have
been replaced, as has one ball joint.)  The clunk/vibration
can be felt through the stick as well as the wheel, and
seems to be accentuated when the car is "light" such as
cresting a hill.  When replacing the passenger axle this
afternoon it was noted that there seemed to be a lot of
transmission oil mixed in with the CV grease, indicating a
bad flange seal. (correct?)

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?  The car's not
mine, and is my friend's only car right now.  Currently
he's got my '85 so he can get around.

I am at this point out of ideas.

=====
Daun Yeagley
'80 Scirocco S,
'82 Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening."  -Lane Wallace.