Used my fire extinguisher today!

See kids, it pays to have a fire extinguisher in the car because you just
NEVER know when you will need it.

True story by Shawn C. Meze

On a day, just like today, matter of fact, it WAS today.  So today after
I drove for nearly 2 hours up to Hollywood Park for the Cal Clubs auto.
Race (WON!) worked and then did the planning for the upcoming Nationals.
(Like ANY of you care. Suffer anyways heh!)

Its hotter than hell and I wanna get ill. Hmm, heard that on the radio
today so its kinda stuck in my head. So im heading out to Pottermans
place to drop off tools and pick up parts. Leave HP and turn left on
Manchester which takes me to the 405 freeway.

Im the first car at a stoplight and can see down to the next light,
wondering if I will be able to surf my way to the freeway if the dozen or
so lights are set up right. While all of this twilight stuff is being
pondered in my head, I notice the light is green and a light blue car at
the next light isn't moving. My light is still red. So I sit. and sit.
breathe in, breathe out. still sitting.

Then I notice that the light blue car has the hood up and it looks like
its overheated. My light turns green, FINALLY!! I take off casually and
start to think I need to get over to get around this guy. Look in front
again and notice the steam is actually black smoke. Now i can see there
are flames licking the leading edge of the hood (Which is open) and
flames are enveloped in the engine bay. Before I stop right behind his
car I put on my flashers because I know that im gonna go into action.

(Super hero sound effects. Gotta have that.)
DUNT-DUNT-DUNHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

This was actually a good test for having my fire extinguisher mounted on
the right rear roll bar mount. (Goes from the middle of the roll bar to
the right rear fender well.) I had wondered: "if in an emergency could I
get the extinguisher out with one hand"?

The answer is a definite YES! Without even looking at it (Because im
still rolling to a stop.) I reached over, unlatched the bottle and
removed it from its mount. Pull the parking brake and open the door and
bail out like I know what im doing. Run around the car while pulling the
pin, like i know what im doing, depress the lever and sprayed my Kiddie
BC extinguisher at the base of the fire. Damn if it didn't go out! Big
ass fire too! The engine was a total loss, probably to car too since ALL
the wiring was gone or severely damaged.

The owner said he had just picked up the car from the shop the day
before. $500 bill for rebuilding the head. OOPS, sounds like they will be
buying him a new car.

A few minutes later the fire department shows up. They all look
disappointed like I spoiled all their fun. I found much humor there.
"Sorry guys, I know how you were looking foreword to snuffing a fire. Im
sure there's a raging BBQ out there somewhere that You can handle".
Firemen don't have a real good sense of humor I discovered.

So the owner thanks me ("My Hero"!) and im getting ready to drive away
when I look at the back of the car and realize its a Honda Civic.

What was I thinking?

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V <--NEW
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' future "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!