RE: CIS-E idle problems, 86 16v.

  Had a similar problem with my 87 16v except mine had an erratic idle that
would occasionally die when I came to a stop sign or light. I replaced the
idle stabilizer valve to the tune of $165 with no change to the problem.
Turned out I had a bad/abbynormal brain (engine control module) Changed this
out and no more problem. I got the module for free from a friend so I have
no idea as to cost of a new or used one.
  Gerry